November 17, 2011

Resourceful or creative?

These two words go hand in hand. I have had to be very creative the past few days. Did you know that vert is a word? Thank you auto-correct!

I finished up the rest of Human Island yesterday and started throwing together a resource pack for the island. I don't mind using the occasional icons or potted plants but when it comes to flooring, walls, roofs, trees, just about everything beside doodads, I want to be original art work. And by that I do not mean re-colours! That's how we spell colour up here.

Since I had no base template to work off of I had to go in to the game and measure out realistic sizes for housing, churches, shops, and inns. Pretty easy stuff for the most part. One thing I did get stuck on is house direction. A south-west placement would give players two sides to look at and lessen the feel that you are in a 2D world. On the other hand facing north and south creates more graphic challenges for me. For now I have consider that graphics can always be an update later down the road. Either a weekly thing or a complete over haul every 3 months or something.

On the plus side I was able to upgrade my servers ram by another gig. I also changed the location and added another internal fan so it will now run cooler.

No comments: